How we will use your personal information
When you submit an application to be registered, or an application to update or renew your registration, you will be providing Social Care Wales with personal information about yourself. This statement sets out how we will use your information.
We will use the information you provide for the following purposes:
1. To consider your suitability to be registered
2. To update and maintain the Register
3. To keep in touch with you
4. To produce statistical reports on the Register
5. To monitor equal opportunities
More information about each of these purposes is set out below.
1. When considering your initial and continued suitability to be registered we may:
• investigate any information we receive in relation to your fitness to practise and suitability to be registered
• share information with your employer about the outcome of your application and any decisions made in relation to your registration
• share relevant information about you in order to protect the public with:
• your employer
• employers or employment agencies
• educational institutions
• the Care and Social Services Inspectorate Wales (CSSIW)
• the Disclosure and Barring Service
• other regulators (within or outside the UK)
• other regulatory bodies (within or outside the UK)
• the police
• the courts government departments or agencies action on their behalf
2. When updating and maintaining the Register we will:
• provide the following information on the public Register on our website:
• your full name
• your registration number and the part(s) of the Register on which you are registered
• the county of your work address(es) in the UK
• the date on which you were entered onto the Register
• your qualifications to practise in your social work/care role
• information relating to your fitness to practise, including disposals imposed
• provide the outcome of your application and the reasons for our decision to your current social service employer
• once you are registered, provide the following additional information to your current social care employer, and to any other social care employer considering employing you:
• your previous names, if any
• your date of birth
• your qualifications
• your work or course address (except where disclosure would reasonably be expected to expose you to danger) and any work history
• any action taken in relation to previous conduct which you have declared in your application form
3. Keeping in touch with you includes:
• contacting you about registration
• if you’ve provided consent sending you information about the Register and our work
4. Producing statistics reports includes:
• using the information about you to monitor trends and provide reports on the Social Care Register. These reports provide statistical data but do not identify individuals.
5. Equal Opportunities monitoring includes:
• using the information provided by you on an Equality and Diversity Monitoring Form for the purpose of monitoring trends and providing reports on the Register. Reports will not identify any individuals.
Your data protection rights
The personal information supplied by you in connection with your application will be processed in accordance with Social Care Wales' responsibilities under the Data Protection Act 1998 and, from 25 May 2018, Regulation EU 2016/679 (the General Data Protection Regulation). These contain specific rights for individuals, including:
• the right to request access to personal information held about you (this is known as the right of subject access);
• the right to rectification of inaccurate data and, in some circumstances, the right for the data to be erased;
• the right to object to processing of data in some circumstances (for instance if you think the data we hold about you is inaccurate, or if it is being processed for direct marketing purposes);
• the right to object to any automated decision-making, including profiling; and
• the right to complain to the regulator, the Information Commissioner's Office, if you are unhappy about how your personal information is being used. The ICO can be contacted at www.ico.org.uk
If you have any questions in relation to this statement or wish to exercise any of the rights set out above then please contact:
Social Care Wales
Social Care Wales
Retention of your information
Your personal information will be retained by Social Care Wales for the duration of your registration. When your registration comes to an end, we will keep your personal information until we consider it unlikely that you will seek re-registration.
We do not transfer your personal data to any country outside the European Economic Area.
Our legal basis for processing your personal information
The personal information that we use to make a decision about your registration and to maintain the register is processed to enable us to carry out our statutory objective as set out in section 68 of the Regulation and Inspection of Social Care (Wales) Act 2016, which is to protect, promote and maintain the safety and well-being of the public in Wales*.
As part of this objective, Social Care Wales is required by section 80 of the 2016 Act to keep a register of social workers, social care workers and visiting European social workers. The processing of your personal information as set out in this statement is necessary to meet these legal obligations.
Consequences of failure to provide your information to us
In order for us to consider your application, you must provide your personal details to us. If you do not provide all of the details that we require, we will be unable to complete your registration/renewal and this may affect your ability to continue employment.
* Public protection will override data protection regulations where appropriate